Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Passion

The Visiting-Warlord's Guest Lecture

"Goodevening, Ladies and Gentlemen, I am Viktor the Warlord. I wage battles and kill people. Occasionally I carry home the spoils of war for the Wife and kids. Firstly, I would want to thank the administration of the college for inviting me over to speak to such a distinguished audience. It is truly an honour. I tried to decide upon what I should lecture on, but believe me it was pretty difficult to do so. So Rather than making it the formal drab discourse we so much fear, let me begin by asking you this question: Why did Achilles fight? And why did Hitler do so? Hitler did it for gains in this world. Achilles did it for those beyond. For Achilles, it was glory that mattered most. For Hitler, it was the honour of his people and geographical superiority. But what was common to both, was that they both waged with an intent, a motive. 

I intend to tell you today, of a third possibility. How about waging wars without an intent? Or a motive? Or a direction? Sounds funny doesn't it. I mean, why all the bloodshed and ransacking. But just consider this for a moment... how about waging wars just for the sake of it? What if I were to tell you, that there exist warlords who fight not for a cause, who fight not for a gain, but who just fight for the sake of it? I am one of that kind. I fight my wars because I love the war. I love the battlefield. I find the roar of the battledrums inebriating. The rumbling earth upon the march gives me a high. I love the moans of dying men, the sound of bones being crushed and lacerating flesh. I absolutely enjoy the all-night strategizing sessions with my soldiers, and the tactical moves made on the turf. The only thing I hate about wars, is the prospect of fighting another pitched battle on the same battlefield. I find it nightmarish to fend off scavengers from a battlefield where I have previously fought and lost. I don't lose usually though and it is painful, believe me. Give me a new war each time, and I shall fight it with all my might. Give me an old war, and I will not want to fight it.

But that's that. I would expect you to question, is it alright to fight wars without a motive or an intent or a direction in mind? Is it correct to push for a buildup of such magnanimous proportions, just to wage a war which you don't intend to see the consequences of? I frankly, believe it is absolutely correct. As long as the battle itself feeds your passion, gives you the fodder you need, fight it. And fight it well. People will confuse you for the Joker in the film The-Dark-Knight. The Joker fought, without an intent or a motive or a direction. But he did so, senselessly. It did not feed his passion. It was just something he did. 'I am a dog chasing cars, don't know what I'll do if I caught one.' Let the people be. Maybe it is the Joker you intend to become. But most likely not. Eitherways you will be happy. Atleast you'll not go to your grave feeling guilty of not having waged that war, or won that battle. 

I once thought it was wrong to fight without a motive or a direction or an intent. I believed my existence was futile. It took me one long drawn war -- which I know not if I have won yet -- to correct myself. Yes the war is my life. My passion. My karma. I am Viktor the Warlord, and I kill for a living. Thankyou."





3 comments:

Debonair said...

Is this from a book? I liked the ideas presented, even though I wouldn't personally endorse them, and neither would a majority of the people reading it, I'm sure. But then, as the writer says : "Let the people be". :)

Observer said...

Nope not a book, the authors thoughts possibly :)

Observer said...

waise this one was a sequel to the blog entry -- http://intelligentbeyondrepair.blogspot.com/2008/05/pain.html