Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Honest Joe

The Honest Joe

What has been the most honest thing you have done in your life? And which made you feel real good and stupid at the same time, afterwards? I'll tell you. I got to spend arguably the twenty-five most coveted minutes with a couple of people today. It is rather difficult to articulate what it takes to get a chance to speak with them, especially a second time. But after having failed to make them happy last year, I got to sit with them again, today. 

Let's cut the crap. This was the second time I was taking my IIMA interview. Last year, my interview started with the panelist asking me, 'What is a switchgear?'. I did not know. And then he asked me what an oil-circuit breaker was. I did not know again. And then I lost control over that discussion, and it veered off course. And I had to fend off another 2,44,800 people to be able to speak with them again. This time 'round, 800 miles across from Kolkata, I met with the Profs from A at Delhi. It was a lazy afternoon, and I was allotted Panel #3. And Panel #3 was two professors, one of whom was the same gentleman who asked me what a switchgear was, last year. Yes. And this time, after a minor discussion with the other professor, I got to speak with the same gentleman once again. 

And he asked me, in the same tone, that shot me back in time, 'So Hansraj, can you tell me what a switchgear is'. Such are the vagaries of nature. I thought for a split second, and knew the next question he would ask, once I answered this one. And I knew what'll be the one after that too. I knew I could ace it. I could literally talk about the switch-gear ad-infinitum: it was, afterall, what let me down last year! 

But guess what, people, something struck me. Call it stupidity, or call it the want of brownie points, I made a clearly observable smile, before I actually gave the answer. And predictably, the man interjected and asked me: 'Why did you smile upon hearing this question? What's so funny?'. Me: 'Sir, you asked me the same question last year. Should I answer it.'

He became quiet. And gave me a blank stare. The other professor, sensing the unusual incident, interjected. Said, 'Okay, so old acquaintace eh. Neat. You know what a switchgear is?' Me: 'Sir, I did my homework this time round.' Prof: 'Okay, so lets get into a nice probability question. Lets evaluate the probability that you meet the same panelist again. And consider your probability of clearing cat this second time as one. No smartness there'.

The interview went on a very average course after that, they didn't get into academics at all. I could have answered that question. And the most beautiful answer it would have been. And probably the next one would have been on an oil-circuit breaker. And the one after that on the grid-transient stability. I would have aced them all. But I chose not to. Don't know why. Call it smartass. Call it stupid. Call it dumb. I had an average interview after that. This was arguably a most important moment for me. And I did what I did. Was it right on my part? I don't know. But I am happy. Tell me guys, was it right?

PS: Just as an aside, the Professor in question happens to have headed finances for Rolls Royce before he decided to teach at IIMA :P



8 comments:

10 P said...

Yes you did right :)

hope u make it :)

Kritical said...

Haan sahi kiya :) . All the best !! :)

Unknown said...

hey u did a correct thin..dun worry..just keep ur fingers crossed..wish u all the best..

Shivpriya Chaturvedi said...

Bihari Babua, "abe" you aced it "be"

Shivpriya Chaturvedi said...

Seriously, how could you say that you blew it? I think you did great. They like that sort of thing.

eternal_struggler said...

they will surely appreciate your candidness...ATB!!! BTW am also an aspirant undergoin the process, and the comment is based on my experiences so far.

PL said...

yo hansi .. that was well done :)

Unknown said...

Hmmm.... Now in hindsight can you truly say you did "right". Of course linking this to your other article on "The Inconsistency" you may choose to question what is right in right :)