Monday, June 23, 2008

The Obsession

Overheard at the Local Pub:
(On a table for 2)

"Hic! She was the Spring, and smelled of the verdant. She would smile, and my whole world would come to a grinding halt. I could kill for that lovely smile between those little dimples. You know those times, when something gets to your head, and your every action, every thought, every moment of your existence -- all becomes governed by this One Thing. You hypothesize every occurrence as something towards or owing to, this One Thing.

You begin to dream, and dreams become overtly imposing. Each bit of you panders to the enrichment of the experience of this One Thing. The Thing is so divine, so heartening, that if it were food, you would want to have it little by little... like the greedy child who wishes to eat his cake, and have it to.

She unquestionably was this Thing for me. She was like fresh flowers that bloom along the banks of fabled magical rivers emerging from glacial peaks. And she was the bedazzling Sun as it outshone other stars. Stars even bigger than it, brighter than itself. She was the inebriating, consuming, commandeering thought which refused to part ways with me for even one fleeting moment.

In those days there would always be a constant grin on my face, and a happy thought to fall back upon. I worked better. I didn't waste time over inconsequential pursuits. I didn't have time for them. Somehow, I would drown away Her thoughts into massive volumes of work. And it helped. I found myself hurtling towards something which would earn me accolades, accomplishment, friends, a new life... it put me in the grooves to strive for something I knew earlier as beyond me.

It was all good. I was doing what my close ones wanted me to. I was on, what they call, "The Right Track". But then I barely ever spoke with her. I got lost in my stride. I never reverted to that which was The Obsession. And it all gradually sublimed. Thoughts faded out, memories dissolved and time did what it does best -- flowed forward. Hic!"

"Drink up, you're already seven pegs high. Never knew you'd get so philosophical. And forget about Her. She's possibly somewhere out there, happily settled with some nice guy."

"Hic! She's out there, right... and quite possibly well settled and happy. But oblivious of her role in keeping a loyal heart live and kicking for so long. Times change Jim, but The Obsession lives on. Damn I love her. Hic!"


3 comments:

nix said...

we all head to bangalore!

hic!

another round of drink on table two, please. its on me :)

Arnab said...

@nix Bangalore might have more to do with this blog than just a place with great bars :P
Btw hansi I know you don't drink but then who needs to drink when you can bring out such strong emotions staying sober :D nice work

The Recluse said...

seems like you missed your train, my sympathies. when did u ever drink, btw?